It's been a long overdue, but PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is finally getting its own Ranked Mode, alongside weapons balancing, ignitable Jerry Cans and a plethora of other changes come Update 7.2.
Starting on Wednesday, May 20 for PC players and Tuesday, May 26 for console and Google Stadia users, PUBG will allow players to finally test their skills against some of the best players in the world by rising through the ranks of the Ranked Mode, which is also said to feature unique rewards alongside bragging rights that come with it.
The PUBG developers have been working hard on adding some sort of skill-based matchmaking system to the game for a while now and with this update, PUBG players will finally get the experience a real challenge many have been craving to. This is also a huge step forward for PUBG and PUBG Corp.'s goal of further developing the esports ecosystem of PUBG.
Additionally, the Ranked mode, whcih is now set to be treated as a core feature, will help PUBG develop a detailed and effective ranked system, that will accurately measure the skill level of PUBG players, who will finally be able to show off their status to their peers, as well as have a better chance of getting picked up by professional teams.
The ranked mode will be divided into seasons, with players getting their ranks to reset to an unranked state before starting their seasonal placement matches. While the previous ranks will impact the placement in future seasons, PUBG Corp. unveiled they have set Platinum V as the rank cap regardless of previous performances. As for ranked rewards, PUBG unveiled that players who reach Gold V or higher in any queue will be awarded with a ranked exclusive skin set. Top 500 players per regions, however, will receive a special ranked nameplate and emblem set.
Although an exciting announced, it did not come without some questionable additions in of Bots to the PC servers. Bots have been a highly controversial topic of discussion among the community over the last few weeks, as the addition of them was not well received by plenty of players, who believe Bots will eventually ruin the game. Nonetheless, PUBG developers assured their fans that they have made improvements to how the bots work and most importantly Bots will not be in any of the ranked games.
As for other changes, Jerryy Cans can now be tossed or have its contents poured on the ground, to create areas of fire. What's more, patch 7.2 will introduce some massive balance changes to guns. Shotguns will have its damage multiplier increased from 1.25x to head and 0.9x to limbs up to 1.5x to head and 1.05x to limbs. Shotguns will also have a reduced accuracy penalty when moving, less damage drop when firing at range and have its hip-fire accuracy improved. Some of the most popular guns, including M416 will also be set for some changes, with most of ARs getting reduced recoil among other general balance changes.
Full PUBG 7.2 patch notes:
- A new ‘Ranked’ option has been added to the ‘Play’ section of the primary navigation menu.
- Options for Ranked play include TPP or FPP Squad modes, as well as 1/2/3 man squad options.
- Ranked matches will feature a maximum of 64 players and will not include any bots.
- For a squad to be eligible to enter a ranked match, all members must meet the following requirements:
- A squad cannot enter the queue if two players are too far apart in rank from each other - maximum of 10 divisions.
- Depending on their platform and region, players may need to reach a minimal level of Survival Mastery before they qualify for ranked mode.
- Depending on their platform and region, players may need to verify their account using SMS - If an SMS verified account is banned, the device connected to it will also be permanently blocked.
- Players who have received ranked matchmaking penalties for actions such as repeatedly ‘dodging’ games will need to wait out a matchmaking penalty timer before they can play ranked again.
- Players may cancel Ranked matchmaking at any time with no penalty.
- Players who find a match and load into the pregame lobby will face Ranked penalties if they then choose to abandon the match.
Ranked Mode Ruleset
- Ranked mode games will be played on Erangel, Miramar, or Sanhok (randomly).
- Ranked mode will operate under its own game settings.
- Unique Season 7 Ranked settings will include:
- An overall increase in item loot spawns
- No Crossbow spawns
- The red zone and motor glider have been removed
- Blue Zone will have its timing and speed adjusted to increase the pace of play
All Ranked settings are subject to adjustment throughout the season, and are highly likely to change at the start of every season. All ranked ruleset changes will be officially announced on PUBG's website.
Tiers and Divisions
- There will be a total of six tiers in the ranked system - Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master, each with five Divisions - Division V to Division I.
- Player's current ranks are determined by their Rank Points (RP) in any given queue.
- At the start of a Ranked season, all players will be considered as "unranked" in all queues and will have to play placement matches in order to determine their rank.
- The first five games the players will play in each ranked queue will count as placement matches.
- Once a player finished his fifth placement match, he will receive an initial rank for the season.
How Climbing Works
- After a player dies, he will receive an adjustment to their Ranked Points based on overall performance, which will take into the account the following metrics:
- Personal placement
- When a player exits a Ranked match, they will be presented with a new pop-up celebration that will show their performance, as well as the change made to their Ranked Points.
- Players who are at Diamond rank or above will experience Ranked points "decay" if they do not play any ranked matches for one or more weeks in a row.
- At the end of the season, each player will receive ranked rewards based on the highest rank they have achieved in the season.
- Ranked rewards will be unique and only obtainable by playing Ranked during the season they are awarded
- All players will receive a nameplate and emblem recognizing their Tier
- Players who ended the season at Gold or higher will receive a set of Ranked reward skins
- The Leaderboards have returned with an updated look, which will also work with Ranked mode.
- Leaderboards now list the Top 500 players per server, who will be sorted by the number of Ranked Points they have.
- The Leaderboard will show the placements of players for the region you've played the most Ranked matches in.
- Once a player enters the leaderboard, their region will be fixed for the rest of the season.
- Players who end the season amongst the Top 500 for any queue will receive a small additional unique reward to recognize their achievement.
Since PUBG recognised its player base has improved significantly, they did not forget about the newer players, who often find themselves eliminated early. Due to the widening gap between the players, PUBG decided to implement bots.
Bots will only appear in normal games and are specifically designed to be less present in your games as your skill increases. More changes are set to be implemented to bots (intelligence, balance and functionality) as the time goes on and PUBG gets the needed information and feedback on how bots work in games.
- The Ratio of bots in each match will be dynamic. The ratio of bots in each match will constantly change according to player skill and the matchmaking pool in each server.
- Bots will only be present in Normal matchmaking games.
- Players will never get placed on a team with bots, while bots will never fill an empty slot in your party if one of the players decides to leave.
- Normal match with bots will start fresh with new MMR
- Bots actions will be limited. Bots will only be able to perform basic actions such as walk/run/crouch/prone/shoot while also being capable of doing basic low height parkour, swimming, parachuting and looting. Bots will not be capable of actions such as leaning, jumping, ledge grab, and the use of throwables in the early phases, although those actions will be added at a later date.
- Achievements, trophies, missions, and Mastery can still be earned and completed. Actions against bots will count towards missions, Survival & Weapon Mastery, as well as platform achievements and trophies.
- Bot spectate and Death Cam. Death Cams from the perspective of bots will also be available, although they may look slightly odds until PUBG implements planned improvements.
- When a player is killed during a match, the spectator is prioritized to remaining human players.
Weapons and Armour changes
With the introduction of the Ranked Mode, PUBG wanted to also bring some balance changes that were in the works for a while. The goal of weapon balance changes is to strengthen the characteristics of each weapon type, so the players will have to adjust their tactics based on the firearm they are using. At the same time, the changes also made sure no weapon is overpowered.
M416 has been one of the most powerful AR weapons in the game for a while, which is why PUBG decided to give some changes to other ARs as to make them as usable as M416 and give players alternative options. Shotguns have also been adjusted since they were almost useless unless used at an extremely close range.
- Increased reload times for M416, M16A4 and SCAR-L. Reload times have been increased for three of the most popular mid-range weapons in order to make less powerful, as they were essentially perfect weapons for all situations. With increased reload times, M416, M16A4 and SCAR-L will become far less effective in close-quarter engagements, since players won't be able to rush their enemies with an AR.
- M416 will have its base damage, muzzle velocity and damage curve distance reduced, as it was far too effective in all situations.
- Decreased base damage by 1 (41 → 40)
- Decreased muzzle velocity from 880 m/s to 780 m/s
- Changed damage curve distances from 60m – 450m to 50m – 350m
- M16A4, MK47 Mutant will have reduced recoil when firing in quick succession in semi-auto and bursts mode, since they do not support full-auto firing mode.
- Added tracers (shooter only).
- Beryl M762 proved to be far less efficient than other rifles, which is why it will receive some buffs.
- Increased muzzle velocity from 680 m/s to 740 m/s.
- Decreased recoil.
- The current meta of the game made Shotguns less efficient in the late game, which is why Shotguns received some buffs to make them more reliable throughout the whole match.
- Body damage multiplier changes
- Increased limb multiplier from 0.9 to 1.05.
- Increased head multiplier from 1.25 to 1.5.
- Increased hip-fire accuracy.
- Decreased accuracy penalty during movement.
- Decreased damage drop over distance for all shotguns.
- Saiga S12K Extended and Ext. Quickdraw magazines now hold 10 rounds.
- Suppressor adds slight pellet spread reduction (2/3 of choke bonus).
- S1897Increased the pump-action speed
- Sawed-off Increased reload speed.
- Vests not only gave players armour but also provided additional inventory space, which was lost upon taking damage in combat. Additionally, players' survivability decreased significantly once they lost their vests, which is why the destroyed vests will no longer disappear, leaving the players with the additional inventory space even after they lose their vests due to damage.
- Vests will also continue to provide20% protection and slight aim punch reduction once destroyed. The base protection level of the destroyed vest is the same no matter the type of vest you’re wearing. This should mean more competitive engagements, even if the situation doesn’t allow for the looting of a new vest.
- Fixed the issue where the character could slide abnormally when going through specific steps.
- Fixed the issue where the character could occasionally prone and slide forward.
- Fixed the issue with Gas Cans sometimes not exploding even after reaching 0 HP.
- Fixed an issue where individual bindings for Aim and ADS didn’t allow for swapping of Hold/Toggle functionality.
- Fixed an issue which caused teammates to be muted mute when changing the voice input mode to ‘disabled’.
- Fixed minor graphical issues with the appearance of sights when attached to the Tommy Gun.
- Fixed the issue with prone characters on trains moving slightly when the train curves.
- Fixed an issue where flares were not correctly displayed when viewed from underwater.
- Fixed missing texture in Castle, Vikendi.
- Fixed some floating objects in Goroka, Vikendi.
- Fixed the issue with movement blocked at building entrance in Yasnaya Polyana, Erangel.
- Fixed the issue with being able to see through a specific aircraft object in Sosnovka Military Base, Erangel.
- Fixed the issue with multiple doors stacked on top of each other in certain buildings on Vikendi.
- Fixed an incorrect kill message on Karakin ‘killed by BZ signal grenade’.
- Fixed an issuing causing the health bar to display incorrectly when using healing items.
- Fixed the Lean Forward Motorcycle Air control setting from displaying as unbound.
- Fixed the server region displaying as KOREA/JAPAN with German language setting.
- Fixed the issue with spectating players status UI in the minimap not instantly changing
- Fixed a bug where the speed boost icon on the HUD could display greyed out before the boost has expired
- Fixed the volume adjustment of teammates not working correctly
Skin & Item
- Fixed the clipping issue with Jockey Boots
- Fixed the issue when wearing a coat and holding a Panzerfaust the character’s waist area shakes excessively
- Fixed a clipping issue when equipping PGI title hand strap and Ogre’s jacket at the same time
- Fixed the abnormal flashing effect of Level 1 helmets on the ground
- Fixed the issue with a specific AKM skin not being exchangeable for BP
- Fixed the texture on the 6x scope lens
- Fixed the player list error displaying the wrong number of players during replay.
- Fixed a misalignment issue of spectated players crosshair location in death cam and replay.